Lockout Tagout Safety Training
The number of attempts remaining is 2
Enter personal information below.
1 / 11
1. Did you watch the YouTube video titled "Master Lock OSHA Lockout Tagout” AND "LOTO Lockout Tagout Electrical & Mechanical Training Video" prior to taking this quiz?
2 / 11
2. Both lockout and tagout devices are required when isolating equipment.
The purpose of both locks and tags is to ensure equipment isn't reenergized before it's safe. Locks and tags are usually applied at breakers or electrical disconnects, traditional plugs, and battery backups because electrical lockout/tagout is the most common. However, any source of power will need a lockout device.
3 / 11
3. Turning off the power switch removes all energy from powered equipment.
Equipment may have stored energy (also residual or potential energy) that resides or remains in the power supply system. When stored energy is released in an uncontrolled manner, individuals may be crushed or struck by objects, moving machinery, equipment or other items. Stored energy can be mechanical, gravitations, hydraulic, or pneumatic. Common examples are: Capacitors, springs, elevated components, rotating flywheels, hydraulic lift systems, air, gas, steam, water pressure, etc.
4 / 11
4. Lockout/Tagout is necessary whenever you are performing service or maintenance around any machine where you could be injured by:
Lockout/Tagout is required when the unexpected energization or start up (or release of stored energy ) of machines, equipment or prime movers could injure workers during cleaning, repairing, servicing, setting-up, adjusting and un-jamming.
5 / 11
5. If a worker is not present to remove his own lock, any co-worker can remove it as long as he first makes sure it its safe?
ONLY the employer of the authorized employee may remove a lockout device as long as a documented procedure is followed. This procedure, at a minimum, must include: (1) verification by the employer that the [authorized] employee [who applied the device] is not on site; (2) [all] reasonable efforts to contact the authorized employee to inform him or her that the lock has been removed; and (3) the employee is definitely informed of the removal of the lock upon his or her return to work.
6 / 11
6. Before removing the lock you must do which of the following?
7 / 11
7. LOTO device must be labeled to identify the specific employees authorized to apply & remove them.
Tagout devices must be labeled to identify the specific employees who are authorized to apply and remove them. The label must contain the name, date and contact information for the person performing the lockout/tagout.
8 / 11
8. Before removing lockout/tagout devices, you must make sure the danger area is clear of tools and workers.
5 Steps to release/removal of Lockout and Tagout:
9 / 11
9. "Lockout" means "the placement of a tagout device on an energy-isolating device to indicate that the device and the equipment being controlled may not be operated until the tagout device is removed".
Lockout. The placement of a lockout device on an energy isolating device, in accordance with an established procedure, ensuring that the energy isolating device and the equipment being controlled cannot be operated until the lockout device is removed.
Lockout device. A device that utilizes a positive means such as a lock, either key or combination type, to hold an energy isolating device in the safe position and prevent the energizing of a machine or equipment. Included are blank flanges and bolted slip blinds.
Tagout. The placement of a tagout device on an energy isolating device, in accordance with an established procedure, to indicate that the energy isolating device and the equipment being controlled may not be operated until the tagout device is removed.
Tagout device. A prominent warning device, such as a tag and a means of attachment, which can be securely fastened to an energy isolating device in accordance with an established procedure, to indicate that the energy isolating device and the equipment being controlled may not be operated until the tagout device is removed.
10 / 11
10. The employees that need LO/TO Training are?
The following employees require training: 1. Authorized employees must receive training on the recognition of applicable hazardous energy sources, the type and magnitude of the energy available in the workplace, and the methods and means necessary for energy isolation and control. 2. Affected employees must receive training on the purpose and use of the energy control procedure. 3. Other employees (those whose work activities are or may be in an area where energy control procedures may be utilized) must be instructed about the procedure and about the prohibition relating to attempts to restart or reenergize machines or equipment that are locked out or tagged out.
11 / 11
11. A Lockout Device is a device that positively prevents a machine from being:
Lock-out device is a locking device that provides a means for rendering a switch, valve, or any energy source inoperable. The device may be a padlock, chain, or any device that positively prevents a machine or piece of equipment from becoming "energized" or from releasing stored energy.
Restart quiz Exit
Yes, we are open. We will remain open during this critical time due to being an essential business and are available to you 24/7. We want to emphasize that we are taking every necessary precaution to protect our technicians and customers.