fbpx

Dangers of using your stove for heating

Dangers of using your stove for heating

Is there a chill in your home, even with the furnace running?
Are you trying to warm your home with your stovetop or oven?

During the colder months when temperatures drop, you may think it’s ok to use your stovetop or oven to heat your home. DON’T DO IT! NEVER USE YOUR STOVE FOR HEATING. Your range and oven were not designed for heating your home. They should only be used for cooking.

The potential

During colder months when temperatures drop, the potential for house fires increases. Just think about all of those things you use to keep yourself warm, including space heaters and electric blankets that may cause sparks if not used correctly. If you leave them on for too long or place them too close to flammable items, they can ignite.

You should keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating equipment, such as the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable heater. Turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

Some people may attempt to use their kitchen stove or leave the oven door open to heat their homes or apartments for warmth. These actions can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. NEVER USE YOUR STOVE FOR HEATING. Your range and oven were not designed for heating your home. They should only be used for cooking.

You should keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating equipment, such as the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable heater. Turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

NEVER USE YOUR STOVE FOR HEATING. Your range and oven were not designed for heating your home. They should only be used for cooking.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless gas that is emitted when gas appliances are used. When gas appliances are misused or misadjusted, CO levels can become dangerously high and become fatal. Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, and fainting. CO alarm/detectors should be installed, and your range and oven should be inspected annually.

Never leave high heat unattended. Stay close to your stovetop when using high heat. If you must step away, be sure to take a spoon or potholder with you so you have a visual reminder to get back to the kitchen ASAP.

Three-foot Rule.  You should keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating equipment, such as the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable heater.

Turn It Off. Turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

Proper Fuel. For fuel burning space heaters, always use the proper fuel as specified by the manufacturer.

Smelling Gas. If you smell gas in your gas heater, do not attempt to light the appliance. Turn off all the controls and open doors and windows. Call a gas service person.

  • The broiler and oven burners are designed to burn with the door closed.
  • Opening the oven door disrupts the air flow pattern, and high concentrations of carbon monoxide may be produced.
  • The oven burner is not designed to operate continuously and can overheat.
  • Kitchen ranges are designed for intermittent operation. Range standards allow concentrations of carbon monoxide that, under continuous operation, could create serious health problems. The longer the range operates, the more carbon monoxide produced.
  • When the oven door is open, heat from the oven flows out the front, and can melt the control knobs or damage the controls.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.